If you’re looking for a great Eid al Adha craft for 8-12 years old, this DIY pompom Kaaba is the perfect activity! Each pom pom takes about 30 minutes to make so this is a craft that can keep older kids busy for a good amount of time. Once, you’ve made the pompom kaaba it can be used in many different ways! For example, arrange branches into a vase and hang the pompom off the branches for a festive ornament. You can also turn the pompom into a keychain or string it into a garland with other pompoms like with our sheep pompoms. If you’re making this craft as a group activity, one ball of black yarn and one ball of yellow yarn will yield about 6-7 Kaaba pompoms. (You’ll need both colours to make one pompom.)
- 3″ pompom maker
- Black yarn
- Yellow yarn
- Craft scissors
- Embroidery scissors
- Yarn needle
- Yellow felt
- White glue
- Wrap the pompom maker completely in yellow yarn.
2. Now, wrap the pompom maker completely in black yarn by wrapping on top of the yellow yarn.
3. Use craft scissors to cut all the way along the slit of the pompom maker.
4. Tie black or yellow yarn tightly along the slit of the pompom maker. Open the pompom maker.
5. You’ll be left with a round black pompom that has a yellow stripe down the centre. To make this look like the Kaaba, use embroidery scissors to trim the pompom in such a way that it looks like a cube and the yellow strip is positioned closer to the top than the middle. (To make the yellow strip positioned closer to the top, you’ll want to decide what is the top of your pompom and what is the bottom. You’ll want to trim more black yarn from the top. Trimming the pompom to look like the Kaaba will take about 20 minutes. Go slow because if you trim too much, you might cut the knot in the middle of the pompom that is holding the pompom together. If that happens, your pompom will completely come apart!
6. Once you’ve trimmed the pompom to a cube shape that you’re happy with, use the yarn needle and thread some black yarn to the top. This will allow you to use the pompom as a hanging ornament or a keychain. If you plan on making a garland, you can choose to skip this step. For a garland, you can cut a 4ft long piece of yarn and thread it right through the top of all the pompoms you’ll be using.
7. Once trimmed, use craft scissors to cut a small door for the Kaaba from yellow felt. Use white glue to secure the door to the Kaaba pompom.
8. As a final step, adjust the yellow strip of the pompom with your fingers. Because the pompom maker is meant to make round pompoms, not cubed ones, there will be about a centimetre of black yarn on the sides of the pompom where there should be yellow. To cover up this small black portion, adjust the yellow threads with your finger till the tiny black portion is covered up as best as possible (it may still peak a little bit but that’s ok!)
Did you make this DIY of ours? We’d love to see it! Share with us on Instagram or Facebook @helloholydays.
If you make this DIY and share photos of your version on your own blog, please be sure to include a link back to this page as your source of inspiration and tag @helloholydays on all social media.
All Hello Holy Days! ideas are for personal use only. Please do not create projects from Hello Holy Days for commercial use.
Hello Holy Days Shop!
Shop products by Hello Holy Days!