Ramadan Ideas: Date Pit Napkin Rings
One Ramadan tradition consistent across Muslim cultures is to break fast with dates. As a nod to that tradition, make date pit napkin rings for Ramadan. Their rustic look add a lovely cottage country detail to your dinner table – and they are a great way to recycle.
- 90 dates (about 2 boxes)
- Drill press (such as Dremel tool and workstation)
- 3/64″ drill bit
- Pliers or small jaw clamp
- 0.5 mm white cord
- Linseed oil
- Remove pits from dates. Place in bowl of warm water and let sit for 24 – 72 hours until throughly clean. This process allows pits to soften for easier drilling and gives them an appealing colouration.
- Fit drill bit into drill press. Secure date pit into pliers and drill hole into side of date, as shown in picture. Repeat with rest of dates.
- String 15 dates through the cord at a time; tie knot to make a ring. Repeat with rest of dates.
- Dampen a cloth with linseed oil and apply to napkin rings for a shiny finish.
Makes 6 napkin rings.