These flying carpet graham cracker cookies are a wonderful treat to enjoy in Ramadan or on Eid day – and thanks to store bought graham crackers, they’re so easy to make! The candy used to decorate these flying carpets, or prayer rugs, are sour peach strips with no artificial dyes (hence the white colour) by Canadian company Dare (so they’re likely only found in Canada). American readers may try Airheads “White Mystery” candy instead for this craft or source fruit leather in purple or yellow colours. For every graham cracker, two pieces of white candy are needed for large mihrabs as shown here. If using one piece of candy per cracker, shorter mihrabs will result.
- 2 graham crackers, whole
- Chocolate frosting
- 4 white candy belts from Dare “Real Sour Strips” (or use Airheads “White Mystery” or fruit leather)
- 2 yellow star quins
- Scissors (reserved especially for food)
- Frost graham crackers with chocolate icing.
- Use scissors to cut a portion of one candy belt so it measures the width of the cracker.
- Now cut this portion lengthwise so you have two thin strips of candy, both the width of the crackers.
- Fringe both strips with the scissors and place on the top and bottom of the cracker.
- With a new piece of candy, trim one end to shorten it and on the other end, use scissors to shape an arch. This will be the mihrab. Place in the centre of the magic carpet.
- Use a toothpick to ice the back of star quins and stick to the centre of the mihrab on each carpet.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining piece of candy from step 2. Place on second graham cracker.
- Repeat step 5 and 6 for second graham cracker.
One pack of Dare “Real Sour Strips” makes 2 white magic carpets with large mihrabs or 4 white magic carpets with small mihrabs.
P.S. We’re calling these prayer rugs “flying carpets” in this post to hope to inspire our audience to revisit the story of Prophet Sulaymaan and his miraculous mat with kids. Ramadan is an excellent time to learn stories from the Quran and treats like this help make learning easier 🙂
Hello Holy Days Shop!
Shop products by Hello Holy Days!