In some Muslims cultures, lanterns are heavily associated with Ramadan. Tradition has it, before electricity, lanterns were taken outside to help spot the crescent moon signaling the beginning and end of Ramadan. This Ramadan, combine tradition with this age-old North American candy craft for a holiday that’s meaningful to you. Hang by a window, wear as jewellry or exchange as gifts – the possibilities are endless with these candy lanterns!
- Lantern cookie cutter (no longer available through Hello Holy Days!)
- Jolly ranchers
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Aluminum foil
- Baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Lay foil on baking sheet. Place cookie cutter on top and spray both the sheet and the cutter with cooking spray.
- Place 4 jolly ranchers inside the cutter. For effects, smash the jolly ranchers first.
- Bake in oven for 5-7 minutes, depending on your oven. Be sure the candies are melted but not boiling.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 1-2 mins. Insert decorating tip to create a hole. (A bamboo skewer or straw also works fine)
- Let sit for 5-7 minutes till hard. Remove from foil and snap away any candy around the edges of the cutter.
- Gently push lantern out from cutter and finish with ribbon.
TIP: Smashing jolly ranchers creates thinner lanterns than using them whole. To smash candies, keep them in their wrapper and place in a paper towel. Place paper towel on top of kitchen towels (these help reduce noise when smashing) and smash with a kitchen hammer. Smash like colour candies together to keep colours separate.